Back to steven-hall.org
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Dear Producers, please don't cut... Options
Steven Hall
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:35:30 PM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

I'm imagining that, given the nature of adaptations, not all of the characters from The Raw Shark Texts are going to make it across from the book to the film, so I'm really interested to see who the 'must have' characters are for you guys...

Just for the sake of this post, let's assume that only Eric, Scout, Clio and the Ludovician are safe.

Which is your fifth 'must have' character?

Which other characters do you think the film people should keep?

Are there any characters you'd be especially disappointed to lose?

Are there any characters you think should be cut?

Also - are there any inanimate 'characters' (ie - the Orpheus, Eric's Jeep etc), scenes or locations that you think might be at risk in the adaptation, but that you'd be very keen to preserve?

As you know, I don't have a say in what happens with the film, so I'm not in a position grant any requests, but - if this post gets a lot of responses, I'll print the thread out and take it to the film producers next time I see them, so they'll at least know what you're all thinking.

Looking forward to your thoughts

S

Broken_Drum
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:25:08 PM

Groups: Shoal

I think they certainly couldn't leave out Ian or Fidorous and I'd be very sad to see Mr. Nobody be cut from the film. A lot of plot would disappear with the emission of Mycroft Ward also... In fact I see most of the characters as more or less indispensable, of course if I hadn't read the book before seeing the film I'm not sure how it would affect me.

"In his dream, which he later forgot, he found himself alone in a room, firing a pistol into a bare white wall."
MiaVRO
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:43:24 PM

First off, i love the title of this thread!!
Fifth must-have character... probably... Yeah, a toss up between Ian and Fidorus, like B_D. Fidorous would probably be more central to the plot, but really, it would break my heart to have Ian gone. The cat is needed. There's no two ways about it.
I'd hate to see Mr. Nobody gone. I think that, in the book, his apperance really made me go "wow". And it would be really cool to see him adapted into film.
Dr. Randle i'd also love to see in the film. Because she could be done really really well, with her monstrosity of a hair-do and monotonous voice. Yes, i'd love to see her.
Characters to be cut? That's a pretty scandalous question, there.
I could see Aunty Ruth's husband John missing. Although his inital opposition to Ian was pretty great... I really love Aunty Ruth though.
Well, if the word tunnels of un-space could be an inatimate "character" i would not want to see that gone. Fidorous's "lair" is pretty key. The dome of telephone books? Crucial.
And i'd really like to see Darwin's text in there, with the "plant"... Just to tie in the book with the film. I think that would be cool.
Conceptually yours...
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:31:31 PM

Well... Although I can't believe I am saying this but as an adaptation/based on book it could (at a pinch) be made without Ian and Fidorus (ouch), but it must have Mr Nobody if just for information relating to Mycroft Ward and the dramatic entrance of Scout. I think the jeep is integral as is Aunty Ruth and I agree with MiaVRO that we must have Thera and we cannot lose the bench.

Let me take you down the corridors of my mind....
Steven Hall
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:04:21 AM

Groups: Shoal , Whale Shark

Okay, so that's -

2 votes for Fidorous,

2 votes for Ian,

1 vote for Mr Nobody,

1 vote or the Jeep, and

1 vot for Aunty Ruth

- as the 'must-have' characters that you want in the film.

Keep em coming folks. As I said, if we get a nice number of responses on this thread, I will mail it to the producers so they can see your thoughts...

Speak now of forever hold your peace ;)

S
Mick_Malone
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 1:50:20 PM

I don't see how it's possible to cut Fidorus, so he's definitely there. Mr. Nobody was one of the more entertaining parts of the book, so I'd be sad to see that cut.